Why would you want to change the language on your Word for Mac? Well, changing the language on your Word could refer to changing the dictionary you use. You can check spelling and grammar in languages other than English. Word comes with foreign-language dictionaries such as Czech, French, Russian, and more. The default dictionary determines which language’s proofing tools Word uses for spelling and grammar. Here’s how you can change those dictionaries:
1. Choose Tools→Language.
2. The Language dialog opens, and you see a list of languages.
3. Select the new language to use and click the Default button.
4. Click Yes to change Word’s default spelling and grammar checking language to the language you selected.
5. Click OK to close the Language dialog.
Maybe you just want to use a dictionary for a specific selection of words and not the entire document. Here’s how you can do that:
1. Select a word or passage in the text.
2. Choose Tools→Language from the menu bar.
3. Select a language to use.
4. Click OK to close the Language dialog.
5. Choose Tools→Spelling and Grammar.
The selection will have a different spelling and grammar language applied and will be checked with the proofing tools for the language selected using the Language dialog. The rest of the document will be checked with Word’s default spelling and grammar language. If you want to change the language you type in your Word for Mac, you will need to change the keyboard layout you use. Here’s how you will do that:
1. On the Apple menu, click System Preferences.
2. Click Language & Region, and then click Keyboard - Preferences.
3. Click +, select the language you want, and click Add.
4. Select the Show Input menu in menu bar check box.
As you can see, these are the different ways you can work with other languages on your Word for Mac. You might want to do this if you are working with documents in another language or if you have a need to create documents in another language for any reason. Maybe you are writing a novel and just need bits and pieces of another language. Whatever the reason, Word for Mac is flexible with other languages.