Microsoft Excel has been the go-to spreadsheet software for decades. Excel is a popular choice regardless of the free spreadsheets that can be found online. There’s a reason for this. Excel has all the features you need in a spreadsheet and more. What’s even better, Excel 2019 introduces lots of new features that take spreadsheets to another level.
Maybe you will find it hard to get excited about Excel 2019. If you’re not a spreadsheet user, that’s understandable, but if you are even a casual user of Excel, you’re going to want to upgrade to the latest version, Excel 2019. Why? Because there are features you will actually use in Excel 2019. These are features that will make everything you do with a spreadsheet easier, more professional, and just downright more fun.
Fun? A spreadsheet? Yes, as a matter of fact, a spreadsheet can be fun.
New Features in Excel 2019:
- New Charts
- Precision selecting
- Timeline filters
- Customizable ribbon
There are plenty of new templates and charts in Excel 2019, so getting started on a project and viewing the information in your spreadsheet just got easier. You can also insert graphics and other objects to help bring your spreadsheets to life. In addition, you get some cool new functions, including:
- CONCAT: This new function is like CONCATENATE, but better. It supports range references, in addition to cell references.
- IFS: With the IFS function, conditions are tested in the order that you specify. If passed, the result is returned. You can also specify an else "catch all" if none of the conditions are met.
- SWITCH: This function evaluates an expression against a list of values in order, and returns the first matching result. If no results match, the "else" is returned.
- TEXTJOIN: This function combines text from multiple ranges, and each item is separated by a delimiter that you specify.
Excel 2019 also lets you work with Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) You can add visual impact to your documents, worksheets, and presentations by inserting Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) that have filters applied to them. These images can also be converted into icons. Another thing you can do with Excel 2019 is insert 3D objects into your spreadsheets and rotate them 360 degrees. This lets you create spreadsheets that are visually powerful.
New functions in Excel 2019
This new function is like CONCATENATE, but better. First of all, it's shorter and easier to type. But it also supports range references, in addition to cell references.
Tired of typing complicated, nested IF functions? The IFS function is the solution. With this function, conditions are tested in the order that you specify. If passed, the result is returned. You can also specify an else "catch all" if none of the conditions are met.
This function returns the largest number in a range that meets a single or multiple criteria.
This function is similar to MAXIFS, but it returns the smallest number in a range that meets a single or multiple criteria.
This function evaluates an expression against a list of values in order, and returns the first matching result. If no results match, the "else" is returned. This function combines text from multiple ranges, and each item is separated by a delimiter that you specify.
Excel 2019 Feature Overview
- Custom visuals like word clouds, bullet charts, and speedometers (previously only available in Power BI).
- Microsoft Office has full SVG graphics support plus the Excel and 500 built in icons. These are now supported on dashboards and infographics.
- The Insights feature has been expanded. Click on a table of data and select Insights from the Insert tab. Several charts appear on the right-hand side of the page to give you “insights” into your data.
- Excel connects to Flow to create automated workflows that automatically collects data and synchronise data sources.
- Excel connects to Formsю
- Map & funnel charts.
- Excel’s Power Query data cleansing feature, including parameters, conditional columns & new transformations.
- Multiple users can edit at the same time with co-authoring if a file is stored on SharePoint or OneDrive.
- Assign a default behaviour for Pivot Tables.
Excel has many new features in addition to those above. It features touch screen support and takes advantage of the new inking features, integrated data model support, Pivot Table filtering with slicers and timelines, recommended charts and pivot tables, full cloud support, and advanced sharing features.
Office 2019 or Excel Standalone 2019?
Should you pay for Excel or buy Office 2019? Excel is a part of the Office family and comes in all versions of the product. If you’re looking for a spreadsheet and nothing more, maybe you don’t want an entire office suite on your computer. If you want value, however, and you’re in business or a student, Office 2019 has all the great core programs. Word 2019, PowerPoint 2019, and Excel 2019, along with OneNote, are all a part of Office 2019 Home and Student. While Excel 2019 is a highly productive product on its own, having Microsoft Office brings you a world of functionality and programs for word processing, presentations, and spreadsheets. Whether you choose Excel 2019 as a standalone or the entire Office 2019 suite, there are changes, updates, and new features throughout.